Palm jaggery halwa, popularly known as Karupatti halwa is a traditional, delicious dessert of Tirunelveli. It is a healthier variant of Tirunelveli halwa with karupatti or palm jaggery instead of sugar. To give the halwa it's traditional and unique seductive taste, it is important to use good, quality ghee. It is a speciality of the hugely popular Sreeram Lala Sweet shop where it is made with wheat, milk, palm sugar and dollops of ghee. Taste this exclusive sweet of Tirunelveli; it will keep drawing you for more.
What You Will Need
How To Make It:
1. In a wok, heat water and palm jaggery.
2. Continue heating until the palm jaggery dissolves. Cool it completely. Strain for any impurities and set aside.
3. Next mix rice/wheat flour in water with a pinch of salt. Make it into a watery liquid without any lumps.
4. In a separate wok, heat 2 tablespoons ghee and add the rice/wheat flour mixture.
5. When it begins to thicken, add the coconut milk.
6. Keep heating until it becomes pasty.
7. At this stage, add the palm jaggery mixture. Keep stirring and mix it without any lumps.
8. When the mixture begins to thicken, add the remaining ghee and rose water/cardamom.
9. Keep cooking in low flame until it reaches the halwa consistency and it leaves the sides of the wok.
10. Add chopped nuts and mix gently.
11. Switch off the flame.
12. Grease another plate and pour the halwa mixture into it. As it cools, it begins to thicken.
13. Slice into desired shapes.